Why Private Schools Need A Much Better Employee Engagement Strategy
The education sector grapples with more or less the same kind of issues as any other sector when it comes to employee engagement, retention, and development. Unfortunately, the effects of these issues are much more troublesome here than anywhere else simply because the responsibility of sculpting future generations lies squarely on the shoulders of teachers. Imagine the kind of individuals a school would produce if the teachers working there are disinterested and disengaged!
The statistics are not reassuring either. A Gallup survey recently proved that a mere 31% of school teachers in the States are happy and are actively engaged at work. This means that most of our educators mechanically clock in their stipulated time and perform their duties without a shred of enthusiasm or passion. Lack of motivation is a huge problem especially when your primary job responsibility is to inspire young minds to open up to the joys of reading, exploring the mysteries of maths, unravelling the puzzles of science, and learning more about the world they live in. Such an attitude amongst teachers can have severe long-term consequences as it affects society at large. Before trying to chalk out a solution, it is first important to understand why private schools need a solid engagement strategy today:
- To Build A Culture Of Recognition – It is vital to recognize the efforts that your teachers are putting in and to appreciate those who have thought of and implemented novel ideas and solutions to improve the quality of their work. Regular interaction between administrators and faculty can help throw light on such initiatives.
- To Understand Employee Strengths And Weaknesses – When administrators are aware of each teacher’s strengths and weaknesses, they are in a better position to allocate work accordingly. Such a strategy helps pull out the best from each individual and it also ensures that teachers are actively engaged and happy with what they are doing.
- To Regularly Measure Engagement Levels – Engagement levels are never constant. They often go through cycles of crests and troughs as the school year progresses. Keeping a close tab on these levels is, therefore, necessary so that appropriate measures can be put in place when there is a dip.
- To Maintain A Robust Communication Channel – Informed employees are often the most engaged ones. In a private school setup too, if teachers are aware of the latest developments and are kept in the loop when important decisions, big or small, are being made, they feel much more connected and involved. Such efforts automatically lead to higher levels of engagement.
- To Encourage Peer Teaching – Many younger faculty members have a much better idea of how to use technology to improve their teaching abilities. On the other hand, most experienced and older faculty members are often much more adept at curriculum alignment, planning, and execution. Both these groups can gain tremendously from sharing their skills with each other.
Mobile technology has advanced considerably in the past few years and time and again it has come to the rescue when businesses have found themselves in a spot. In case of dwindling faculty engagement levels too, mobile communication apps have infinite potential as a solution. Office Curry offers such a suite of tools that can be easily used on a smartphone by teachers of all age groups. The Office Curry app is intuitive and easy to use which is why it does not demand extensive user training. Besides, it can be used as an effective information dissemination tool as well as a method to gather feedback through polls and surveys. Using this app as part of the engagement strategy at private schools is a good idea as it can perform the role of a single communications platform for the entire staff and can ensure that all of the above mentioned areas are taken care of through seamless communication.